Whether large or small, your organisation can benefit greatly from video conferencing. It not only negates a significant amount of travel, saving costs and boosting productivity in the process, but it promotes a new collaborative approach to working.
Here are some of my top tips when choosing a video conferencing solution that’s right for you.
Decide on your primary objective for adopting the technology. Do you need desktop/application sharing, visual communications or a combination of both?
- Calculate the return on investment in relation to IT costs, travel expenses and communications budgets.
- Examine your external telecommunications and internal network infrastructure. Make sure that it is sufficient to deliver the required Quality of Service (QoS) to support video traffic.
- Choose a solution that is open and standards-based, with forward and backwards compatibility in order to protect your organisation’s investment.
- Examine the licensing model carefully. Can non-licensed users join quickly and easily?
- If you’re somewhat reluctant to jump straight in, consider testing some of the lower cost desktop collaboration tools and see how they blend into your organisational culture. Some vendors offer free 30-day trials.
- Examine cloud and on-premise models and balance required functionality with your budget.
- Don’t forget about mobile staff.